This seared steak salad is topped with a sweet and spicy honey-habanero tomato dressing for an easy, flavor-packed, healthy weeknight meal.
Say hello to your new favorite seared steak salad recipe.
We used a 1 pound ribeye for this steak salad, but you can use any cut of beef you like, such as skirt steak, ribeye, sirloin, New York strip, bavette, or hanger. Just note that the cook time will vary depending on the cut and your preferred internal temperature. Our recipe assumes a 1 pound ribeye, about 3/4 inch thick.
This seared steak salad is the absolute perfect summer lunch or dinner recipe! You can whip it up quickly and the honey-habanero tomato dressing is good enough to drink! It looks absolutely beautiful plated up and you can modify it as you need to!
Add fresh vegetables like shredded carrots or sliced bell peppers. Throw on some sugar snap peas or even roasted cauliflower. If you don’t have steak, try this salad out with poached or roasted chicken. Or, if you want to keep it vegetarian, use crispy tofu! The possibilities are endless with this incredible steak salad with a habanero dressing recipe.
Looking for more steak recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this seared steak salad recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed.
Seared Steak Salad with Honey-Habanero Tomato Dressing
- 1 pound steak of choice
- 1 tablespoon neutral cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons butter optional
- 4 ounces butter lettuce torn into pieces
- 3 radishes trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 avocado
- Juice of half a lime reserve the other half for serving, if desired
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Honey-Habanero Tomato Dressing:
- 2 ripe tomatoes core removed
- 1 habanero pepper or use jalapeño, trimmed and seeds left in-tact
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 shallot peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons honey plus more, if you want your dressing to be sweeter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the Honey-Habanero Tomato Dressing
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a food processor and pulse until combined and smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add more honey, if desired, and pulse again until combined. Transfer to a bowl.
Prepare the Salad:
- In a bowl, toss together the butter lettuce, sliced radishes, and the cilantro leaves. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and the lime juice and use your hands to toss everything together. Season with a sprinkle of salt.
Sear the Steak:
- Pat the steak dry and season all over with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet, heat the neutral cooking oil over high heat until shimmering and extremely hot. Add the steak and cook without moving for 4-5 minutes until it is extremely well-seared. Flip the steak and add half the butter to the top of the steak and the remaining half in the skillet. Continue spooning the butter over the steak as it cooks an additional 2-4 minutes or until desired internal temperature is reached. Turn off the heat and transfer the steak to a plate to rest for 5 minutes.
- After the seared steak as rested, thinly slice it crosswise.
Assemble the Salad:
- While the steak is resting, peel the avocado and remove the seed. Thinly slice the avocado lengthwise. You may want to sprinkle a bit of lime juice on it to keep it from browning. Sprinkle with salt.
- Divide the dressed salad between plates and arrange the sliced steak and sliced avocado on top. Spoon the honey-habanero tomato dressing over the seared steak salad. Enjoy!