This recipe for zucchini noodles in tomato-caper broth is easy to prepare with a fragrant, buttery broth and works well with vegetable noodles or traditional noodles.
This recipe is very simple and easy to make. We enjoyed it with veggie noodles for a low-carb option but you can use traditional noodles – such as orzo, ditalini, or farfalle.
If you can’t find zucchini noodles but want a low-carb option, you can use spaghetti squash or even serve this fragrant tomato-caper broth over roasted cauliflower.
This recipe’s broth is made by browning a diced onion with cherry tomatoes and capers. I like to sauté the capers in butter until they begin to turn a little golden, about 3 to 5 minutes. The cherry tomatoes should begin to blister and pop. I deglaze the pan with white wine and vegetable stock and whisk until smooth and emulsified.
Finally, I just add a can of beans the zucchini noodles and voila! Dinner is served.
If you need to make some substitutions, use the following guide:
- Zucchini Noodles: Traditional noodles or a veggie noodle alternative such as carrot noodles, turnip noodles, or spaghetti squash. You can serve this over roasted cauliflower as well.
- Cherry Tomatoes: 1 14.5-ounce can diced or whole-peeled tomatoes
- Capers: Omit or use anchovies for a non-vegetarian option
- White Wine: Use vegetable stock instead
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed
Zucchini Noodles in Tomato-Caper Broth
- Colander or fine-mesh sieve
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons capers drained
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper more or less to taste
- ½ cup white wine or vegetable stock
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 15 ounce can or cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 16 ounces zucchini noodles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese for garnish optional
Cook the Aromatics:
- Heat the extra virgin olive in a wide pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook, stirring often, until well-browned, about 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter into the onions. Once melted and frothy, add the cherry tomatoes and capers and cook for 3-5 minutes until the tomatoes begin to split and the capers turn golden.
- Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Prepare the Broth:
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine and bring to a boil. Stir frequently. Boil for 3-4 minutes or until the wine begins to reduce. Add the stock and the beans and bring to a boil. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Taste and season again.
Add the Zucchini Noodles:
- Bring the broth back to a boil and add the zucchini noodles. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until just softened. Season again to your preferences. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the noodles between shallow bowls and ladle the broth on top. Serve with grated parmesan cheese, if desired. Enjoy!