This cheesy beef skillet with yellow rice is my new favorite weeknight dinner recipe. It comes together quickly, doesn’t require a ton of ingredients, and the cilantro and microgreens with lime juice add just the right amount of brightness to the meal.
Cheesy Beef Skillet with Yellow Rice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon neutral cooking oil
- 3 teaspoons chili powder divided
- 2 teaspoon ancho chili powder divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder more or less to taste
- 2 large red bell peppers deseeded and diced
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 14.5- ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 ounces crème fraîche or heavy cream
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil optional
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/3 teaspoon cumin
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup loosely picked fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup radish micro greens optional
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1/2 like cut into wedges for serving
- Salt to taste
Prepare the Rice:
- Combine the rice, butter, water, turmeric, and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 16-17 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the rice to rest for 10 minutes before adding the cumin and fluffing with a fork. Keep warm.
Prepare the Beef:
- In a wide ovenproof skillet, heat the 1 tablespoon neutral cooking oil over medium-high. Once hot, add the beef and season with salt and pepper. Cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, for 8-10 minutes until well browned all over. Season with 2 teaspoons chili powder, 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, and cayenne powder. Cook an additional minute or two. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a bowl. Drain off excess fat in the skillet, reserving the browned bits.
Cook the Vegetables:
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat in the skillet. Add the onions and red bell peppers and cook for 10-14 minutes until beginning to char. Add the garlic and cook for 45 seconds or until fragrant.
Add the Liquid:
- Add the beef stock and scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom. Bring to a boil and add the diced tomatoes. Season with salt, pepper, and the remaining chili powder, ancho chili powder, and cumin. Season with a bit more cayenne powder, if desired.
- Finish the Cheesy Beef Skillet:
- Return the cooked beef to the skillet and reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered, to allow the flavors to meld. Stir in the crème fraîche and simmer an additional 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and transfer to a broiler for 3-4 minutes until browned and bubbly. Return to the stove and turn off the heat.
Prepare the Garnish:
- Combine the cilantro, micro greens, juice from ½ a lime, and salt in a small bowl.
- Divide the rice between bowls and spoon the cheesy beef on top. Garnish the cilantro. Enjoy!