This creamy chicken soup with peas and mushrooms is delicious and rich but has a nice brightness to it thanks to fresh shelled peas, parsley, and lemon.
This creamy chicken soup with peas is also loaded up with sliced mushrooms and delicious couscous.
For this recipe, I prepared rich chicken stock by boiling an entire chicken. I used black peppercorns, mustard seeds, onion, and garlic as aromatics. After the chicken began falling off the bone, I removed it from the stock. I let it cool before I picked the meat from the carcass. I continued boiling the stock until it reduced by an additional cup or two. The stock will be very rich and flavorful. You can easily add other flavors to this chicken stock, such as celery ribs, carrots, or bay leaves!
After the stock has reduced, you can opt to strain the stock through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Alternatively, you can hold a fine-mesh sieve over the pot when it’s time to add the stock to the soup. Simply ladle the stock directly over the soup pot and it saves you a bowl!
After I prepared the chicken stock for this delicious creamy chicken soup with peas and mushrooms, I started the soup. All you need to do is sauté onion and mushrooms, add the dry couscous and let it toast up. Next, you’ll add the chicken and the stock. Bring it a boil and then simmer it for about 15 minutes until the couscous is almost tender. Finally, you’ll throw in some fresh shelled peas and a touch of cream and then you’re done! It’s easy peasy.
Looking for more soup recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below. Leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Creamy Chicken Soup with Peas
- Stock pot
- Soup pot
- Fine mesh sieve
- 2½ pounds skin on, bone-in chicken whole chicken or cut-up
- 10 cups water or enough to cover the chicken
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 yellow onion peeled and quartered
- 1 head of garlic halved cross-wise
- Salt to taste
Creamy Chicken Soup with Peas:
- 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion peeled and minced
- 10 ounces baby bella mushrooms trimmed and sliced
- 1 cup pearled couscous
- 6-7 cups prepared chicken stock more as needed
- 10 ounces fresh shelled peas
- 1/4 cup heavy cream more or less, to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley minced
- Lemon rounds or wedges
- Extra virgin olive oil
Prepare the Chicken Stock:
- Cover the chicken with water in a large stock pot. Add the onion, peppercorns, mustard seeds, and garlic. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for at least one hour.
- Remove the chicken from the stock pot and transfer it to a platter. Once it's cool enough to handle, pick the meat from the bones and shred into bite-sized pieces. Discard the carcass and skin. Reserve the shredded chicken for the soup.
- Return the stock to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes until it has reduced. Turn off the heat. Scoop the garlic out of the stock pot and transfer to a bowl. Carefully pop the cloves out of the paper skin and mash them. Set aside.
Start the Creamy Chicken Soup:
- Heat the neutral oil and butter in a soup pot over medium heat until frothy. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring regularly, until the mushrooms begin to brown and soften, about 7-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the reserved mashed garlic and the couscous to the soup pot and cook, stirring regularly until the couscous begins to turn golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
Strain the Stock:
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over the pot and using a ladle, spoon the chicken stock from the stockpot into the pot. You will need about 12-14 ladlefuls (approximately 6-7 cups).
Cook the Chicken Soup:
- Add the reserved shredded chicken to the soup pot and bring to a boil. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the couscous is about al dente.
Finish the Chicken Soup:
- Add the shelled peas and cream to the pot. Simmer for 5-6 minutes or until the peas are bright green. Taste and season again to your preferences. Turn off the heat.
Prepare the Garnishes:
- Combine the lemon juice and parsley in a bowl and sprinkle with salt.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the prepared parsley and a lemon wedge or round, if desired. Drizzle with a touch of extra virgin olive oil if preferred. Enjoy!