This creamy shrimp and gnocchi recipe is sweet, spicy, and a perfect comfort dinner idea. The best part? It’s super easy to make with luxurious results!
How lush does the sauce look for this shrimp and gnocchi recipe? I don’t know why I wasn’t pairing shrimp and gnocchi before! The combination of sweet, succulent shrimp, fluffy pillows of gnocchi, and a rich, sweet, spicy sauce makes this a dinner homerun.
I was actually inspired by a recipe I saw on the DeLallo website. Something about the combination of fluffy gnocchi with seafood and citrus really struck me and I decided to riff off the idea.
My version uses a citrus & chile marmalade, though any hot honey will do. You can also use honey or maple syrup in addition to crushed red pepper or cayenne to approximate the flavor. It gives this sauce a bright, spicy, citrusy finish that really works well with the creamy sauce.
My favorite part about this recipe is just how easy it is to make. It’s just a matter of boiling up the gnocchi, frying some shrimp, and then throwing together a super easy sauce. From there, just throw those shrimp and gnocchi together in the sauce and dinner is served.
What’s in the sauce? Just a few ingredients, I promise!
How to make this recipe:
First, you’ll need to get some shrimp and fresh, frozen, or shelf-stable gnocchi. Next, gather your ingredients for the sauce. Here’s what you need:
- Onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon Citrus & Chili Marmalade, or use your favorite hot honey
- Chicken broth or water
- Heavy cream
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Red pepper flakes, optional, to taste
- A lemon
- Freshly minced parsley
You’re likely to have many of these ingredients on hand, like flour, butter, and onion, and that’s half the battle in this creamy shrimp and gnocchi recipe!
Once you have all the ingredients gathered, it’s just a matter of boiling the gnocchi, sautéing the shrimp, and then making a super simple sauce. The sauce is just onion sautéed in butter and hot honey and then flour to create a roux. Whisk in the broth or water, bring it to a boil and then add the cream and cheese. Let it thicken for a few minutes. Toss in those gnocchi, then add those sautéed shrimp. Finish it up with some lemon and parsley! It’s totally perfection!
Looking for more comfort dinner ideas? Check my archives!
Creamy Shrimp and Gnocchi
- Large pot
- 16 ounces gnocchi
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled, tails left on or removed depending on preference
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon hot honey
- 1 heaping tablespoon flour
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Red pepper flakes optional, to taste
- 1 lemon juiced with 1/2 teaspoon zest
- ⅓ cup loosely packed fresh parsley minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the gnocchi:
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and cook until they float to the top. Drain and rinse thoroughly with water to keep them from sticking.
Fry the shrimp:
- Pat the shrimp dry and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wide pot over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add 2 tablespoons butter. As soon as the butter is melted and bubbly, add the shrimp and arrange them into an even layer. Fry without moving for 1–2 minutes. Flip and cook 1–2 minutes more. Do not overcook! It’s alright if the shrimp aren’t all perfectly opaque. Transfer them to a large bowl.
Prepare the sauce:
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter into the pot. Adjust the heat to medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 8–10 minutes until it begins to brown around the edges and soften completely.
- Add the hot honey and stir to coat the onions. Add the flour and stir to coat. Cook for 1–2 minutes.
Simmer the sauce:
- Slowly stir in the broth or water. Continue stirring until completely smooth. Once the liquid begins to bubble, stir in the cream and Parmesan. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes if you like. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Finish the shrimp and gnocchi:
- Stir in the lemon juice and zest and the fresh parsley. Add the shrimp and gnocchi and let bubble in the sauce for 3–5 minutes just to warm the gnocchi and shrimp. Taste and season once more.
- Spoon the shrimp and gnocchi into shallow bowls. Garnish with more parsley if you like. Enjoy!