Our recipe for pork chops with creamy peas and tomatoes is so easy to prepare and is a perfect all year recipe that can be adapted depending on the season.
If fresh peas aren’t available, use frozen peas, or use another in-season vegetable, such as chopped asparagus, sugar snap peas, or even frozen edamame.
Pork Chops with Creamy Peas and Tomatoes
- 4 boneless pork chops about 1” thick
- 1 tablespoon neutral cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons butter optional
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved (or use 1 can diced tomatoes)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 10 ounces fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Finishing salt if desired
Prepare the Pork Chops:
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Pat the pork chops dry and season all over with salt and pepper. In a wide ovenproof skillet or sauté pan, heat the neutral cooking oil over medium-high heat. Once very hot, add the pork chops and cook for 3 minutes until very well-browned and crisping up around the edges. Flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the pork chops reach 140ºF. Remove from the oven and cover loosely with foil to rest as you finish the rest of the recipe.
Fry the Aromatics:
- Return the same pan to medium heat. Add the yellow onion and cook for 5-7 minutes or until it begins to soften. Next, Add the garlic and cook for 45 seconds or until fragrant. Then, add the butter. Once the butter is melted and frothy, add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Season everything in the pan with salt and pepper.
Cook the Creamy Peas and Tomatoes:
- Pour the chicken stock into the pan and scrape up any browned bits stuck tot he bottom of the pan. Add the peas and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until the peas are softened but still bright green.
- Return the heat to medium (a very low boil). Season to taste with salt and pepper and then add the crushed red pepper, and thyme.
- Pour in the heavy cream and the lemon juice. Cook for 5 additional minutes or until the sauce has thickened a bit. Turn off the heat.
To Serve the Pork Chops with Creamy Peas and Tomatoes:
- If desired, thinly slice the pork chops. Divide the creamy peas and tomatoes between bowls and arrange the sliced pork on top. Pour more of the cream sauce over the pork chops just before serving. Sprinkle with a touch of finishing salt, if desired. Enjoy!
If you liked this pork chop recipe, check out this recipe for Pork Chops with Spicy Potatoes and Broccolini!