This ricotta and pork meatball soup is easy to prepare but loaded with plenty of flavors. The meatballs are moist and decadent with the perfect amount of sweet spice from a few shakes of nutmeg.
Who doesn’t love a juicy pork meatball in an easy-to-prepare soup? The pork and ricotta meatballs are rich thanks to ricotta but we serve them with plenty of vegetables, like thick rounds of carrots and Lacinato kale for a dish that is rich but not completely overindulgent.
Get creative with the soup ingredients and use the vegetables you have on hand! Try this with:
- Roasted bell peppers
- Spinach or arugula
- Sweet potato
- Green beans
My favorite part is that I don’t have to bake or fry these meatballs. Simply drop them in the soup and let them do their thing!
Looking for more pork recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed.
Ingredients for Ricotta and Pork Meatball Soup
Ricotta and Pork Meatballs:
- 1 pound ground pork
- ½ cup fresh ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 pound baby gold potatoes or fingerling
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 6-7 cups chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon dry rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 bunch Lacinato kale
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves
- Salt pepper, crushed red pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil optional, for garnish
- Grated Parmesan cheese optional, for garnish
Prepare the Meatballs:
- Roughly chop the fresh parsley. Combine all ingredients for the pork meatballs in a bowl, being careful not to over mix the meatballs. Form the mixture into 2-inch meatballs; do not over-roll the meatballs. Transfer them to a plate and store in the fridge.
- Prepare Ingredients for the Soup:
- Peel and dice the onion. Peel the carrots and cut into rounds on an angle. Cut the fingerling potatoes in half lengthwise. Roughly chop the Lacinato kale. Roughly chop the parsley leaves.
Fry the Vegetables:
- Heat 1 tablespoon cooking oil in a wide soup pot over medium-high. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes until softened and beginning to brown. Add the carrots, potatoes, and tomatoes and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes. Season all over with salt and pepper.
Prepare the Soup:
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Season with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, dry rosemary (crush the rosemary between your fingers as you add it), and dry thyme. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, over a low boil for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender and cooked through. Taste and season to your preference.
Cook the Meatballs:
- Add the meatballs to the soup pot and cover the pot. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until the meatballs are completely cooked through.
Finish the Soup:
- Carefully add the kale and the fresh parsley, gently folding it into the broth. Cover and cook for 5 minutes longer or until the kale is wilted. Turn off the heat.
- Ladle the ricotta meatballs and the soup between bowls. Drizzle with a touch of extra virgin olive oil, if desired, and sprinkle each bowl with the parmesan cheese. Enjoy!