We love seared trout with beans, but what about seared trout with spicy corona bean soup? These big fluffy corona beans are perfect for a spicy soup broth.
The key to these spicy corona beans is to soak them overnight. If you can’t find corona beans, a can of drained and rinsed cannellini beans will do the trick!
If you’re looking to purchase corona beans, I recommend Rancho Gordo!
Seared Trout with Spicy Corona Bean Soup
- Wide pot
- 4 4- ounce skin-on trout fillets
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 cocktail tomatoes on the vine, preferred
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 5 cups water or stock
- 2 cups corona beans soaked overnight
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Warm toasted baguette slices
- Fresh minced parsley
Char the tomatoes:
- In a wide sauté pan, heat the 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the tomatoes on the vine and cook for 1-2 minutes. Transfer to the broiler and broil for 5-7 minutes or until the skins begin to char and blister. Return the pan to the stovetop and, using tongs, transfer the tomatoes to a bowl. Once the tomatoes are cool enough to handle, discard the stems. Set aside.
Prepare the soup broth:
- Return the sauté pan to medium heat and add the butter. Once the butter is melted and frothy, add the yellow onion and cook for 6-7 minutes until softened and beginning to brown. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 45 seconds.
- Add the crushed red pepper and the reserved tomatoes and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the water or stock and scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Then, reduce heat and stir in the corona beans. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are softened but not split open. Taste and season to your preferences.
Prepare the trout:
- Pat the trout dry and season all over with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet, heat the 1 tablespoon neutral cooking oil over medium high heat. Once very hot, add the trout fillets, skin-side down, and cook without moving for 5 minutes or until the skin is very crispy. Flip and cook an additional 3-6 minutes or until the trout reaches your desired internal temperature. Cook the trout in batches, if necessary.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the trout to a plate.
- Ladle the spicy corona bean soup into bowls and serve with a seared trout fillet on top. Sprinkle each dish with minced parsley and serve with warm bread. Enjoy!