We’re coming around the corner to the end of the year and one of our goals is start implementing more vegan recipes into our diet. I love the flavors of this spicy sesame sweet potato bowl. It’s so quick to prepare, full of flavor, and can be thrown together with many ingredients that you probably have in your cupboard already.
The base of this sweet potato bowl is simple: onions, garlic, and ginger for aromatics combined with sesame, soy, honey, and chili-garlic sauce for a sweet, spicy, salty flavor that pairs perfectly with fluffy white rice.
The final product is a brothy sweet potato bowl that you can whip up any day of the week. If you’re watching carbs, serve these spicy sesame sweet potatoes with roasted peppers and broccoli or simply sauté any choice of vegetables with the sweet potatoes.
I think you will absolutely love this spicy sesame sweet potato bowl. It’s so easy to make, but it’s loaded with flavor!
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed!
Spicy Sesame Sweet Potato Bowl
- Small pan
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter optional
- 2 teaspoons neutral oil for frying
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger freshly minced
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cups water or stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced avocado
- Chili threads or crushed red pepper
- Sesame seeds
- A drizzle of sesame oil optional
Prepare the Rice:
- In a small pan, combine the rice, water, butter (if using), and salt. Bring to a boil and stir once. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the rice rest for 5-10 minutes before removing the lid.
Start the Aromatics:
- Heat the neutral cooking oil over medium heat in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced onion and cook, stirring regularly, for 5 minutes until softened and beginning to brown.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 45 seconds until fragrant.
Cook the Sweet Potato:
- Add the diced sweet potato to the skillet and cook, stirring regularly, for 8-10 minutes until the sweet potato begins to soften and caramelize around the edges.
- Add the soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, honey, and sesame oil and stir to coat with the sauce.
- Add the water and scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes until the sweet potato softens. Season again to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the rice between bowls and spoon the broth and sweet potatoes on top. Arrange avocado and chili threads on top and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Enjoy!