This tilapia and bacon in garlic broth is the perfect light and healthy summer dinner. Baking the tilapia in the broth gives it a wonderful flavor.
Tilapia and Bacon in Garlic Broth
- Braising dish
- 4 tilapia fillets patted dry and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 8 ounces thick sliced bacon sliced into lardons
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 carrots peeled and small diced
- 2 stalks celery small diced
- 1 small onion peeled and small diced
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon paprika plus more for serving
- 1 lemon sliced into 4 rounds
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen peas
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle of crushed red pepper optional
- Extra virgin olive oil optional, for serving
Fry the Bacon:
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a large, wide braising pot (large enough to hold all the fish fillets), add the bacon and turn the heat on the stove to medium-high. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the fat has rendered. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a bowl. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat.
Cook the Vegetables:
- Return the pot to medium heat and add 2 tablespoons butter. Once melted, add the carrots, celery, and onion and cook, stirring regularly, for 7-8 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for 45 seconds or until fragrant.
Prepare the Broth:
- Add the chicken stock and the reserved bacon and bring to a boil. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika.
Cook the Tilapia:
- Place the tilapia fillets in the broth and sprinkle a little paprika on top of each fillet. Place a lemon round on each fillet and transfer to the oven. Cook for 15 minutes or until the fish is opaque and cooked through.
Finish the Broth:
- Using a spatula, carefully transfer the tilapia fillets to 4 shallow bowls.
- Turn the heat on the broth to medium and add the peas and parsley. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the peas are bright green. Taste and season one final time with salt, pepper, or crushed red pepper if desired. Turn off the heat.
- Ladle the hot broth over the tilapia and sprinkle each dish with a bit of paprika and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, if desired. Enjoy!