This tilapia and bacon in garlic broth is the perfect light and healthy summer dinner. Baking the tilapia in the broth gives it a wonderful flavor.
Tilapia and Bacon in Garlic Broth
This tilapia and bacon in garlic broth is the perfect light and healthy summer dinner. Baking the tilapia in the broth gives it a wonderful flavor.Print Pin
- Braising dish
- 4 tilapia fillets patted dry and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 8 ounces thick sliced bacon sliced into lardons
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 carrots peeled and small diced
- 2 stalks celery small diced
- 1 small onion peeled and small diced
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon paprika plus more for serving
- 1 lemon sliced into 4 rounds
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen peas
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle of crushed red pepper optional
- Extra virgin olive oil optional, for serving
Fry the Bacon:
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a large, wide braising pot (large enough to hold all the fish fillets), add the bacon and turn the heat on the stove to medium-high. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the fat has rendered. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a bowl. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat.
Cook the Vegetables:
- Return the pot to medium heat and add 2 tablespoons butter. Once melted, add the carrots, celery, and onion and cook, stirring regularly, for 7-8 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for 45 seconds or until fragrant.
Prepare the Broth:
- Add the chicken stock and the reserved bacon and bring to a boil. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika.
Cook the Tilapia:
- Place the tilapia fillets in the broth and sprinkle a little paprika on top of each fillet. Place a lemon round on each fillet and transfer to the oven. Cook for 15 minutes or until the fish is opaque and cooked through.
Finish the Broth:
- Using a spatula, carefully transfer the tilapia fillets to 4 shallow bowls.
- Turn the heat on the broth to medium and add the peas and parsley. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the peas are bright green. Taste and season one final time with salt, pepper, or crushed red pepper if desired. Turn off the heat.
- Ladle the hot broth over the tilapia and sprinkle each dish with a bit of paprika and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, if desired. Enjoy!
Calories: 577kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 51g | Fat: 33g | Sodium: 637mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin C: 52mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @triedandtruerecipes or tag #triedandtruerecipes so I can feature you in my feed!