This vegan ginger-turmeric coconut soup is full of black rice noodles, sweet potatoes, and dandelion greens. It’s a great plant-based recipe.
In this vegan turmeric coconut soup, the flavors are so deep and rich and work so well together. Aromatic and bitter turmeric and dandelion greens work so well with the sweetness of the sweet potatoes and richness of the coconut broth.
This plant-based recipe is one you want to have in your arsenal for when you might be feeling like you need a break from meat-based recipes. It’s incredible easy to prepare and comes together in just over 30 minutes.
This ginger-turmeric coconut soup is really versatile. Check out some of my substitution suggestions below:
- Black Rice Noodles: Soba, brown rice noodles, or any preferred noodle variety
- Sweet Potatoes: Diced butternut squash, thinly sliced acorn squash (boil at the very end in the broth for 5-8 minutes), or sliced red bell peppers
- Dandelion Greens: Spinach or arugula (toss into the soup at the very end, no need to pre-boil it)
- Other veggies to consider adding: Sliced mushrooms, peppers, sugar snap peas, green beans, or eggplant
- Proteins: Try this with crispy tofu on top!
Looking for more vegan recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Vegan Ginger-Turmeric Coconut Soup
- Large pot
- Large pot
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil or other neutral cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and sliced into half-moons
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger minced
- 3 baby sweet potatoes peeled and diced (about 1/2 pound)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 14 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon pure sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons tamari more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper more or less to taste
- 1 bunch dandelion greens washed and trimmed
- 12 ounces black rice noodles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crispy shallots optional
- Chili oil optional
- Mustard oil optional
- Sesame seeds optional
- Before beginning, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Prepare the Soup Base:
- Heat the avocado oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 45 seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
Simmer the Soup:
- Add the coconut milk, sesame oil, tamari, turmeric, and crushed red pepper and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender.
Cook the Dandelion Greens:
- Add the dandelion greens to the large pot of boiling water for 2 minutes. Add the black rice noodles to the dandelion greens and stir regularly for 5 minutes until the rice noodles are tender.
- Drain and rinse with cold water. Carefully remove as many of the dandelion greens as possible (you don't need to get them all!) and transfer them to the pot of soup.
Finish the Soup:
- Taste and season the soup to your preferences. Once the sweet potatoes are fork tender, turn off the heat.
- Divide the cooked noodles between bowls and ladle the soup on top. Garnish with chili or mustard oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds or crispy shallots, if desired. Enjoy!