This shrimp and rice noodles with shichimi togarashi is loaded with spice and so easy to prepare for a simple weeknight dinner.
If you can’t find shichimi togarashi, simply replace with cayenne powder or crushed red pepper.
Shrimp and rice noodles is a really great weeknight recipe option. And this recipe for shrimp and rice noodles with shichimi togarashi really takes it over the top.
So, what is shichimi togarashi? Shichimi togarashi is a common Japanese spice mixture that typically contains the following seven ingredients:
- Red chile flakes,
- Dried orange peel,
- White sesame seeds,
- Black sesame seeds,
- Nori flakes,
- Poppy seeds
Of course, the actual ingredinets in shichimi togarashi may vary depending on the brand, but it is a terrific spice mixture that adds heat at the end of dishes.
I use the shichimi on the shrimp before frying in the pan. You need to be careful frying the shichimi since it can burn, so it works perfectly for shrimp since it’s in the pan for such a short amount of time (trust me, I tried it on beef and it was a disaster).
The final product is an absolutely delicious shrimp and rice noodles dish that has heat, sweet, and everything nice in it. We absolutely loved this recipe. It works so well for a relatively quick weeknight dinner option.
For this recipe, we use peppers, cabbage, onions and shiitake mushrooms for the vegetables. you can customize this recipe to suit your tastes. Don’t have shiitakes? Swap them out for cremini. You can also use veggies like broccoli florets or sugar snap peas.
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed!
Shrimp and Rice Noodles with Shichimi Togarashi
- 10 ounces rice vermicelli
- 2 bell peppers trimmed, deseeded, and thinly sliced
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small cabbage thinly sliced into strips
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 pound shrimp peeled an deveined
- Shichimi togarashi quantity will vary, depending on spice preference
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Neutral cooking oil for frying
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 4 Thai chili peppers or 1-2 Serrano peppers, trimmed (fewer or more peppers, depending on spice threshold)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
Prepare the Sauce:
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Taste and season to your preferences.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the noodles. Boil for 6-7 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the noodles to set for 1-3 minutes more, until al dente. Drain and rinse. Season with salt and drizzle with 2 teaspoons sesame oil. Set aside.
- In a large wok or skillet, heat a slick of oil over medium-high heat until very hot. Add the sliced peppers and sliced onions and cook, stirring regularly, until beginning to char around the edges, approximately 5 minutes. Season with salt and transfer to a bowl. Once in the bowl, season generously with shichimi togarashi to taste.
- Next, cook the mushrooms. If the skillet seems dry, add another slick of oil. Once hot, add the mushrooms. Sauté until golden brown and beginning to crisp up around the edges. Transfer to the bowl of peppers and sprinkle with more shichimi.
- Finally, cook the cabbage. Again, if the skillet seems dry, add more oil. Once very hot, add the cabbage and cook, stirring regularly, until it begins to char and turn golden-brown, about 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and transfer to the bowl of warm vegetables and sprinkle with shichimi, if desired.
Cook the Shrimp:
- Cook the shrimp. If the skillet is too dry, add a touch of oil over medium-high. Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels and season all over with salt, pepper, and shichimi.
- Transfer to the skillet and cook in an even layer without moving for 3-4 minutes until well-browned. Flip and cook an additional 1-2 minutes until just cooked through. Transfer to the bowl of vegetables.
Finish the Dish:
- Return the skillet to medium-high heat and pour in the sauce, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes until reduced a bit.
- Return the vegetables and shrimp to the skillet and toss to combine with the sauce for 1 minute. Add the cooked noodles and toss to combine for 1 more minute until warmed through. Turn off the heat.
Finish the Dish:
- Divide the shrimp and rice noodles between plates and garnish with black sesame seeds and more shichimi togarashi, if desired. Enjoy!
Pin this Shrimp and Rice Noodles with Shichimi Togarashi for Later!