Who doesn’t love a good 30-minute tomato sauce recipe? Our 30-minute garlic butter tomato sauce with linguine is a perfect, flavorful pasta dinner.
You should be about to just about finish the garlic butter tomato sauce while the pasta is boiling, so be sure to chop and prep all your vegetables first, start boiling the water for the linguine, and then begin preparing the sauce. This will get you set up to drain the pasta right as the sauce finishes cooking.
30-Minute Garlic Butter Tomato Sauce with Linguine
- Large pot
- Wide pot
- 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons capers drained
- 1 cayenne pepper or red Fresno chili pepper trimmed and sliced into thin rounds
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup water plus more as necessary
- 2 tablespoons Calabrian hot sauce optional, or use crushed red pepper to taste
- 16 ounces linguine 1/4 cup pasta cooking water reserved
- Salt and pepper to taste
Boil the pasta:
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the linguine and cook until al dente. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta cooking water before draining the pasta. Set aside.
Prepare the garlic butter tomato sauce:
- Heat 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil in a wide sauté pan or skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced onion and cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes until golden brown and beginning to soften.
- Add the garlic, capers, and sliced chili pepper and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the butter to the aromatics. Once melted and frothy, add the tomatoes and use your spoon to arrange them in an even layer. Reduce heat to low and season everything with salt and pepper and cook for 15 minutes or until the tomatoes begin to soften and the sauce thickens.
- Add the water, Calabrian hot sauce (or crushed red pepper) and scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Gently toss the sauce together, being careful not to break up the tomatoes too much. If the sauce needs more liquid, add another splash or two of water.
Finish the pasta:
- Add the reserved pasta cooking water to the garlic butter tomato sauce and turn the heat to medium. Once bubbling, add the cooked linguine to the sauce and gently toss to coat the pasta. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the pasta between bowls and serve immediately. Enjoy!