Chicken and white beans come together in this easy, creamy chicken and white bean chili that’s loaded with spice, flavor, and richness!
This recipe for chicken and white bean chili is so easy to prepare and only takes about 30 minutes and a handful of ingredients! You can serve this creamy chicken and white bean chili without garnishes or loaded with all the toppings, like avocado, cheese (cheddar or cotija), lime wedges, and cilantro!
Looking for another chicken chili recipe? Check out this chipotle chicken and chorizo chili!
Creamy Chicken and White Bean Chili
- Soup pot
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon each: cumin paprika, and chili powder
- Cayenne powder to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 2 bell peppers trimmed, deseeded, and diced
- 1 hot cherry pepper trimmed and minced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 4 cups chicken stock plus more water as necessary
- 1 14.5- ounce can fire-roasted crushed or petite-diced tomatoes
- 1 15- ounce can great northern beans
- 4 ounces crème fraîche or heavy cream
For serving (optional):
- Sliced avocado
- Lime wedges
- Cheese cotija or sharp cheddar
- Cilantro leaves
Brown the chicken:
- In a soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat until very hot. Add the chicken and cook, stirring often, until browned and cooked through. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat as it cooks. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, and chili powder. Season to taste with cayenne powder and toss to coat the chicken with the spices. Scoop the chicken out and transfer to a bowl, leaving the pot on medium heat.
Cook the aromatics:
- If the pot is dry, add another teaspoon of oil. Add the diced onion and cook for 5 minutes or until it begins to soften. Next, add the diced peppers and the hot cherry pepper and cook an additional 4-5 minutes until softened. Finally, add the garlic and cook for 45 seconds until fragrant.
Cook the chili:
- Pour in the chicken stock and scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. Add the tomatoes and stir in the cooked chicken and drained beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-30 minutes or until the broth is thickened. Taste and season to your preferences with more cumin, chili powder, paprika, cayenne powder, or salt and pepper.
- Stir in the crème fraîche and cook for 4-5 minutes more or until it has completely melted into the broth. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the chicken and white bean chili between bowls. Garnish with avocado, cilantro, lime wedges, or cheese as desired. Enjoy!