Spicy Tomato Cream Pasta with Broccolini
This spicy tomato cream pasta with broccolini is the perfect weeknight dinner. Even though the sauce is creamy, broccolini helps to reduce the richness.Print Pin
- Wide skillet
- Large pot
- 12 ounces pasta such as spaghetti or bucatini
- 1 bunch broccolini cut into thirds
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper more or less to taste, depending on heat tolerance
- 1 14.5- ounce can diced tomatoes fire-roasted preferably
- Pinch of sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup pasta cooking water
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the Spicy Tomato Cream Sauce:
- In a wide skillet, heat the butter over medium heat until melted and frothy. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for 45 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Pour in the heavy cream and the reserved pasta cooking water. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add more crushed red pepper if desired.
Prepare the Pasta:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions. 2 minutes before the pasta is al dente, add the broccolini and boil until bright green. Do not overcook. Reserve ½ cup pasta cooking water and then drain and rinse the pasta and broccolini and drizzle with 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil.
Finish the Pasta:
- Add the pasta and broccolini to the sauce and toss to combine. Season again with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Divide the spicy tomato cream pasta with broccolini between bowls. Enjoy!
Calories: 538kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 266mg | Potassium: 456mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1125IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 2mg