This spicy vegetable soup is such an easy, vegetarian soup recipe that is simple to prepare but doesn’t go light on flavor or comfort!
I have been obsessed with ground hot cherry peppers, so I decided to use them again as the base for this easy vegetarian soup. You can use crushed red pepper if you can’t find ground hot cherry peppers.
The base of this spicy vegetable soup is simple. I start with onion, garlic, hot cherry peppers, and then I add vegetable stock to deglaze the pan.
From there, I add a can of diced fire-roasted tomatoes. You can use regular diced tomatoes, but I like the flavor that comes with fire-roasted. I also add diced potatoes and a can of cannellini beans to make this soup ultra-filling.
I wanted something green in this recipe, so I added a bag of frozen peas, but you can add any green vegetable you like, such as spinach, sugar snap peas, or even broccoli florets or Brussels sprouts.
If you’re like me and trying to work through pantry and freezer items during Coronavirus quarantine, this spicy vegetarian soup is for you! It’s easy to prepare, uses simple pantry and frozen items, and will fill you up!
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed
Spicy Vegetable Soup
- Large pot
- 1 tablespoon butter or neutral frying oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon ground hot cherry peppers or crushed red pepper to taste
- 6 cups vegetable stock more, if needed
- 15 ounces cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 14.5 ounces diced, fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 Yukon gold potatoes large-diced
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 10 ounces fresh or frozen green peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated parmesan cheese optional, for serving
Brown the Onions:
- Heat the butter or oil in the pot and add the diced onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-12 minutes until the onions begin to brown and soften.
Cook the Aromatics:
- Add the garlic and hot cherry peppers to the onions and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Deglaze the Pot:
- Pour in 1 cup of the vegetable stock and scrape up anything stuck to the bottom. Add the remaining 5 cups vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
Finish the Soup:
- Add the tomatoes, beans, potatoes, thyme, and season liberally with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through. Taste and season again to your preference.
- Right before serving, add the fresh or frozen peas to the pot and cook for 3-5 minutes or until they are bright green and cooked through.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with parmesan cheese, if desired. Enjoy!