This turkey and black bean chili is an amazing weeknight dinner option! You can use beef or chicken but we loved this easy turkey and black beans recipe.
I absolutely love turkey and black bean chili. It’s so easy, cost-effective, and endlessly versatile. My version of turkey and black bean chili always has red or orange bell peppers because I like the sweetness they add to the dish. I also add lots of spice from cayenne powder, guajillo chili powder, and a diced jalapeño. You can adjust the heat to your preference and tone it down or add more heat, depending on how you like it.
For this recipe, I crisp up corn tortillas to give the dish a bit of crunch at the end.
This is a very easy turkey and black beans recipe that I know your whole family will love.
If you need to make any substitutions, see the list below:
- Turkey: Use ground or shredded chicken, ground beef, or even ground pork
- Peppers: Omit or use any variety of pepper you have, such as poblano or Anaheim
- Black Beans: Use pinto or try this recipe with garbanzo beans
You can also add to this recipe to your heart’s content. Try it with charred corn or diced sweet potato. Want a smokier flavor? Try adding chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Whatever you do, it’s difficult to mess this recipe up.
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Turkey and Black Bean Chili
- Large pot
- Small pot
- 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers deseeded, peeled (optional) and diced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3 cups chicken stock more as needed
- 14.5 ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 14.5 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons guajillo chili powder optional
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Fresh cilantro
- Crispy tortillas recipe follows
Prepare Spice Mixture:
- Combine all the ingredients for the spice mixture in a bowl and set aside.
Sauté the Aromatics:
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced onion and cook for 6-7 minutes until it begins to turn golden brown and soften. Add the bell peppers and cook an additional 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 45 seconds or until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the pot and transfer to a bowl.
Cook the Turkey:
- Add more oil to the pot, if needed, and add the ground turkey. Season with salt and pepper and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, for 12-15 minutes or until it's cooked through and well browned. Season with half the spice mixture and toss to combine.
- Return the onions and peppers to the pot.
Simmer the Chili:
- Pour in the chicken stock, black beans, and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the remaining spice mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Taste and season again to your preferences.
Make the Crunchy Tortillas (Optional):
- Quarter 3 corn tortillas.
- In a small pot, heat 1/2 cup neutral cooking oil over medium heat until hot.
- Add the quartered tortillas and cook, turning occasionally, until crispy and browned, about 1-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and season with salt immediately.
- Divide the chili between bowls and garnish with sliced avocado, cilantro, and the crunchy corn tortillas if using. Sprinkle guajillo chili powder over the entire dish if desired. Enjoy!