This easy creamy chicken gnocchi soup is probably my new favorite chicken soup recipe. It’s really easy to prepare and easy to customize based on the ingredients you have on hand.
This chicken gnocchi soup is an incredible weeknight dinner option. It’s rich, versatile, and easy to prepare. It’s loaded with delicious vegetables, like carrots, bell peppers, and parsnips. This easy chicken gnocchi soup recipe is ultra versatile though!
Check out my recommended substitutions below:
Replace the onions with leeks, the peppers with eggplant, and the carrots and parsnips with any other root vegetable you might have.
If you want to use fresh chicken instead of a rotisserie chicken, you can boil boneless skinless thighs or breasts in the broth and then shred them before adding back to the soup. But, if you want to save time, rotisserie is the way to go.
If you don’t have gnocchi, you can use a small pasta, such as orzo or ditalini and simple adjust the cook time as necessary.
How to Make this Easy Chicken Gnocchi Soup Recipe:
Making this soup is a breeze! You’ll start by sautéing the aromatics. Next, you’ll add the chicken and cook until it begins to brown a bit. From there, it’s just a matter of adding stock and then the parsnips and carrots.
The seasonings in this soup are pretty much pantry staples, including dry thyme, paprika, and crushed red pepper. If you have an Italian seasoning blend you like, feel free to use that as well. This soup is the perfect vessel for warm spices like thyme and rosemary.
After you’ve seasoned your soup, just let it boil until the carrots and parsnips are soft. Toss in the gnocchi and then add the cream, lemon juice, and parsley and voila! Dinner is served.
Looking for more soup recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Easy Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Soup pot
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 red bell pepper trimmed, deseeded, and diced
- 4 carrots peeled and cut into rounds
- 2 parsnips peeled and cut into rounds
- 6-7 cups of low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 ounces gnocchi
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves roughly chopped
- 1 lemon juiced
Prepare the Chicken:
- Pick the meat from the rotisserie chicken and discard the skin and carcass.
Prepare the Soup Base:
- In a soup pot, heat the butter over medium heat until melted and frothy. Add the onion and red bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened and well-browned, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the shredded chicken and toss to combine. Cook until the chicken begins to brown slightly, about 4 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock and scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom. Add the carrots and parsnips. Season with salt, pepper, thyme, paprika, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the carrots and parsnips are fork tender.
Cook the Gnocchi:
- Turn the soup back to a low boil and add the gnocchi. Cook for 1-3 minutes or until all the gnocchi begin to float and are soft and tender. Turn off the heat.
Finish the Soup:
- Pour in the heavy cream, lemon juice, and all but a pinch or two of fresh parsley leaves. Cook for 1-2 more minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Do not overcook.
To Serve the Creamy Chicken Soup:
- Ladle the chicken gnocchi soup into bowls and garnish each bowl with the reserved chopped parsley leaves. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, if desired. Enjoy!