This spicy spaghetti with macadamia gremolata is everything I want in a weeknight meal and more! It’s comforting, quick, easy to prepare, and the gremolata really elevates this meal into something way fancier than it has any right to be. The macadamia gremolata looks so stunning on this spicy spaghetti recipe!
The key to this spaghetti is based on a spice mixture we bought in Napoli during our trip in March. This mixture does not go light on the heat, but it isn’t so spicy that it overpowers the flavors of the garlic and onion.
The base of your recipe:
- Crushed red pepper
- Dry parsley
- Dehydrated onion
- Dehydrated garlic
If you only have garlic and onion powder, use that but adjust as needed since the powder will be more concentrated than the dehydrated pieces.
The heat from this recipe – in combination with the bright parsley from the gremolata – creates an amazing take on spaghetti night!
Want more gremolata inspiration? Check out this how-to from The Kitchn!
This spicy spaghetti recipe with macadamia gremolata was a big hit in our house! If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed!
Looking for more pasta recipes? Check my archives!
Spicy Spaghetti with Macadamia Gremolata
- Large pot
- 8 ounces bacon (or pancetta) sliced into lardons
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes some halved, some left whole
- 16 ounces spaghetti
- Salt and pepper to taste
Dry Spice Mixture
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated onion
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated garlic
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Boil the Pasta:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions and reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. Drain the spaghetti and set aside.
Fry the Bacon:
- Meanwhile, begin the sauce. Add the bacon to a wide pot and turn the heat to medium. Cook, stirring regularly, for 8-10 minutes or until all the fat is rendered and the bacon is crispy. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat.
Cook the Aromatics:
- Add the butter to the bacon. Once melted and frothy, add onion to the bacon and cook for 10-12 minutes over low heat or until the onion is soft and translucent. If needed, season with salt and pepper.
Prepare the Dry Spice Mixture:
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the dry spices.
Finish the Sauce:
- Add the dry spice mixture to the pan along with the Roma tomatoes and cherry tomatoes and stir to combine. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until the tomatoes are softened. Taste and season to your preferences.
Prepare the Gremolata:
- As the sauce cooks, prepare the gremolata. Combine all the ingredients for the gremolata in a bowl and taste and season to your preferences. Set aside.
Finish the Spicy Spaghetti:
- Pour the reserved pasta cooking water into the sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, taste and season to your preferences, and then add the cooked pasta and toss to combine with the sauce until the spaghetti is glossy and coated. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the pasta between bowls and pile the macadamia gremolata on top. Enjoy!