You’re going to love our tortellini recipe. This creamy tortellini with mushrooms and pistachio will warm you up with richness and a tasty, herby gremolata.Jump to Recipe
Tortellini is one of my favorite things to cook because it’s so easy to prepare, and it never lacks in flavors. The best part of this creamy tortellini recipe is the pistachio gremolata. The gremolata is a delicious blend of toasted pistachio, fresh minced parsley, lemon juice, and parmesan that works perfectly on top of cheesy pasta. The lemon juice and pistachios will help balance out the cream and cheese from the tortellini.
This recipe is so easy to prepare! First, you’ll start the sauce. Next, you’ll prepare the simple gremolata. After that, you’ll cook the tortellini. Finally, you just need to toss it all together and serve it up!
This creamy tortellini with mushrooms and pistachio uses fresh mushrooms, peas, and fresh cherry tomatoes. If you need to make substitutions, I’ve put together a list below to help you easily swap out ingredients as necessary!
Creamy Tortellini with Mushrooms and Pistachio Substitutions:
- Tortellini: Ravioli or gnocchi
- Green Peas: Sliced fresh fennel, sugar snap peas, or asparagus cut into thirds
- Cherry Tomatoes: Use a 14.5-ounce can of whole peeled and lightly mash them
- Pistachio: Walnuts, almonds, or cashews
I hope this tortellini with mushrooms will be a new favorite in your house!
Love cheesy pasta? Check out my other tortellini recipes to discover your new favorite easy, elegant dinner recipe!
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed
Creamy Tortellini with Mushrooms and Pistachio
- Large pot
- Small skillet
- Wide pot
- 16 ounces store-bought cheese tortellini
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and minced
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms trimmed and thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream more or less to taste
- 8 ounces green peas fresh or frozen
- Salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/2 cup parsley freshly minced
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Start the Pasta Water:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the tortellini.
Prepare the Sauce:
- As you wait for the water to boil, prepare the sauce. Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a wide pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion and the sliced mushroom and cook, stirring often, for 8-10 minutes or until the mushroom begins to turn golden brown.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes, turning often.
- Add the garlic and cook for 45 seconds or until fragrant. Season with thyme, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. *Note: If you would like the dish to be more brothy, add more chicken stock to your preference.
Prepare the Pistachio Gremolata:
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the pistachios and cook for 1 minute until they're well-toasted but not burnt. Allow to cool for a few minutes. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and crush or place in a ziplock bag and crush with a rolling pin or heavy-bottomed pan.
- Add the pistachio to a bowl with the lemon juice, minced parsley, parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and set aside.
Cook the Tortellini:
- Add the tortellini to the boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Drain.
Finish the Tortellini:
- Taste the sauce and season to your preferences. Bring to a low boil again to allow the sauce to reduce slightly. Add the heavy cream and the peas and reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the cooked tortellini. Turn off the heat.
- Spoon the tortellini into bowls and garnish with the pistachio gremolata. Enjoy!