This harissa spiced vegetable soup is an amazing dinner – a harissa vegetable soup filled to the brim with fresh and frozen vegetables and loads of spices.
This recipe is incredibly customizable. We used a combination of fresh and frozen vegetables, like frozen corn and fava beans and fresh carrots and green beans. The base of this harissa vegetable soup is plenty of aromatics and a few heaping tablespoons of spicy harissa.
We kept this recipe vegan, but you can add extra protein to this soup if you like! Shredded chicken or ground turkey would be an amazing addition if you eat meat.
If you don’t have harissa paste, you can use harissa powder instead, but you’ll want to add it to the liquid broth instead of browning it in the pot as you would the paste! You don’t want the delicious powder to burn.
This harissa spiced vegetable soup is so filling and comforting! It’s perfect for a chilly night when you want to just throw everything together in a pot and call it a night! It’s easy to whip up and the smoky, spicy flavors of harissa makes this a winning soup recipe.
What’s your favorite, comforting soup recipe? Tell me in the comments!
Looking for more vegetarian recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Harissa Spiced Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon neutral cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and minced
- 4 stalks celery small-diced
- 4 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 3 heaping tablespoons harissa paste
- 4 cups vegetable stock plus more as necessary
- 28 ounce can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes medium-diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen fava beans
- 10 ounces fresh green beans trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly minced parsley
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Dry harissa powder optional
Cook the Aromatics:
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced onion, celery, and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-12 minutes or until the onion and celery begin to turn golden brown and soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Season the aromatics with salt and pepper.
Prepare the Harissa Base:
- Add the harissa to the pot and coat the vegetables in the paste. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the harissa begins to deepen in color.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pot.
Assemble the Harissa Vegetable Soup:
- After the vegetable stock, add the canned tomatoes along with the potatoes. Season with the dry spices – paprika, parsley, and thyme – and with an additional shake of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are just barely fork-tender.
Finish the Soup:
- If the soup seems too thick, add a bit more stock. Next, add the frozen vegetables along with the fresh green beans and simmer an additional 15-20 minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked through. Taste and season to your preferences.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with fresh parsley and a sprinkle of dry harissa. Add a drizzle or two of extra virgin olive oil, if desired. Enjoy!